For a non-capital city, Hong Kong has one of the largest foreign representations in the world. The Protocol Division is responsible for liaison with and providing host government services to the sizeable Consular Corps in Hong Kong. On behalf of the Government of the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region, we extend courtesies to visiting national leaders and international dignitaries. We are also responsible for administering the local honours and awards system.
The Protocol Division comes under the Administration Wing of the Chief Secretary for Administration's Office, Government Secretariat. At present there are 19 of us in the Division, including the Director of Protocol and the Deputy Director of Protocol. The Division has three sections, namely the Visits Section, the Honours Section as well as the Consular & Ceremonial Affairs Section.
- To handle Consular Corps related matters, liaise with and provide host government services to the Consular Corps represented in the Hong Kong Special Administrative Region.
- To extend courtesies to visiting national leaders and international dignitaries, plan and co-ordinate their official visits to Hong Kong.
- To monitor the service provided by the Government VIP Lounge at the Hong Kong International Airport.
- To administer the local honours and awards system.
- To advise on the precedence, protocol matters and etiquette relating to the flag and emblem.